Monday, December 31, 2007

My Childhood Fantasy Christmas Dessert

Let's step into the WayBack Machine for a second... do you remember the Swiss Colony catalogs that used to come in the mail around the same time as the Sear's Christmas Wish Book? (For those readers under the age of 30, humor this geezer and play along.)

Well, I spent numerous hours of my childhood pouring over those catalogs and dreaming of toys, games and goodies that I'd like to find under the Christmas tree. Swiss Colony had pictures of a fanciful creation called Buche de Noel that looked like it might be the most delicious and exciting dessert on the planet.

This year I decided to realize one of my childhood fantasies. Here's my version: a Godiva chocolate yule log with white Godiva chocolate creme and meringue mushrooms.Mmmm, mmmm, mmmmm. Sometimes childhood Christmas dreams come true! It might be better than I could have imagined as a kid, because I didn't know about Godiva Chocolate Liquors back then!

I made extra meringue mushrooms because this dessert traveled to Connecticut and I knew some mushrooms would get broken during the trip. I'd never made meringue before -- it's tasty, but complicated and ridiculously delicate & fragile. I assembled the caps and stems with bittersweet Ghirardelli chocolate.

2 comments:

Torrid Pickle said...

OMG - those mushrooms look delicious! I love The Swiss Colony's "Forest Friends" Yule log (that's what they're calling it now) but your log just looks so much better with your mushrooms - fabulous.

I just might steal your shroomie idea for myself next Christmas! (Or perhaps to celebrate the return of the Morels this spring...)

zulustudio.com said...

Thanks for the kind words! The mushrooms were as light as air. Do it, make some, get creative.

What's the story behind "Torrid Pickle?"